STREET CHILD PROJECT
SUMMARY OF ACHIEVEMENTS DURING THE PILOT PHASE
In the last three quarters of National Street Children Project (NSCP), the project team was able to attain considerable achievements in Karachi and Islamabad, both.
A brief summary of all achievements, under the protection component, is given below:
- 729 children were registered in Karachi and Islamabad.
- 286 children received psycho-social counselling in Karachi and Islamabad.
- 729 children were given Non-formal/life skills education services in Karachi and Islamabad.
- Recreational activities were organized with a total of 729 children in Karachi and Islamabad.
- 132 children were being provided case management services in Karachi and Islamabad.
- A total of 2303 children were outreached in Karachi and Islamabad.
- 14 social activities were carried out in Karachi and Islamabad.
- Community support network was built with 123 people in Karachi and Islamabad.
- Immediate family tracing and reunification was done with 29 children in Karachi.
- 45 children were referred to transit care for the purpose of residential transit care in Karachi.
- 43 families (66 parents) were given family counselling sessions in Karachi and Islamabad.
A brief summary of all achievements under the prevention component is given below:
- 2 S4D centers were identified in total. One in Karachi and one in Islamabad.
- 138 trials and team preparation sessions were held in Karachi and Islamabad.
- 2 tournaments and 14 matches were organized in Karachi and Islamabad.
- 30 community meetings were held in Karachi and Islamabad.
PROTECTIONBeing one of the key thematic areas, the protection component of National Street Children Project (NSCP) is the bedrock that addresses the protection concerns and direct service provision focused interventions of street children in 13 cities of Pakistan. Therefore, under the long-term strategic model, it aims to establish protection centers, outreach network, KIOSKs, mobile units, helpline, surveillance and referral centers for STIs and Hepatitis and transit care centers.
The component contributes to the following outcome “information, prevention and protection services for at-risk and street children and for communities are accessed by them in target cities for their sustainable rehabilitation and social reintegration.”
Results stated in this report highlight all achieved outputs during the interim period from April till May. These results are built on the considerable accomplishments that were achieved during the pilot phase of NSCP, which also helped us in striding ahead with the same commitment.
Activities which were a part of this component in the pilot phase continued with the same enthusiasm, commitment, and resolve towards the cause of street children in the country.
(Please note that pilot phase results are mentioned above under the 'Flashback' heading.)
- Biometric electronic registration.
- Psycho-social counseling services.
- Non-formal/life skills education services.
- Recreational activities.
- Case management services (assessment, planning and treatment, follow up and after care).
- Street Outreach (in day & night shifts).
- Social activities at centers/hot spots.
- Recruit key informers, volunteers and community /faith leaders in a support network.
- Develop referral network with response, social support and protection services.
- Immediate Family tracing and reunification.
- Residential transit care (boarding/lodging/ food/clothing/counseling/non-formal and formal education/skill development/reunification).
- Family counseling services.
PROGRESS AND ACHIEVEMENTS
Building on, and adding to, the progress made in the pilot phase, all activities of the protection component were carried out so as to ensure service provision to the beneficiaries and augment/and strengthen the commitment towards the cause of street children.